Submit your poetry and/or art for this site by emailing donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com before 11:59pm PST on Saturday, February 19th, 2022.

Thursday, February 17, 2022

Dean Okamura


Our Late Encounter


None disturb at One O'clock, 

Awake far after prime-time waves. 

Not that we surf, stream, or binge, 

Midnight marks us lost again. 

Alone, our souls perchance reclaim 

That semblance sense—calm refrain. 

Spectral sighs that break the spell, 

Escape the windless wilderness. 

Falcons rise & shred the skies. 





Somnambulist

Why burn the candle in darkest night? 
Timid rattles of the clock 
Serenade the gloom. 

Solitude of restlessness. 

I told people I had insomnia, which
Sounded better than admitting 
Depression. 

Throughout most of my adulthood, 
After a childhood of 
Repressed fragility. 

My real estate agents 
Promised a wonderful life. 

It was a lie. 

Everyone 
Said things 
They thought I wanted to hear. 

So small a soul 
Captured on a 
Scrap of paper. 

This poem on wrapping paper. 

Just 
Before it’s used 
To line the trash can. 

But it’s quiet now, 
As others sleep, and 
I play the part of somnambulist. 

*** 

When I encountered 
Aphrodite’s face lit 
By the rays of the rising sun, 

A soaring falcon never flew so serene. 

Anticipation gripped my shoulders, 
Pulled me out of the pit of dread. 
She encouraged me to come closer. 

Go easy. She said… 

You are designed with flaws. 





30 Pieces

I walked along the cliffs to work on a poem based on 
Judas 
and the 30 pieces of silver, 

but as I strolled along the path, I was greeted by 
the sun, 
who smiled over Catalina Island. 

It was then I noticed after 
30 seconds, 
30 waves, 
30 cactus plants, 
30 palm trees, 
30 resort Casitas. 

(Casita means a tiny house in Spanish, but 
these ocean-side villas sell for more money than workers make in 
30 lifetimes.) 

30 boats in the channel cross 
30 miles from here to Catalina. 

30 bugs buzz in bushes. 
30 birds decorate rocks with white pigment. 

30 outdoor heaters from yesterday's party 
stand at attention, ready for their next commission. 

30 umbrellas stand shoulder-to-shoulder, 
on alert for their next comic relief mission. 

30 steps down the stairway where 
30 pelicans glide over the water. 

The largest bird looks me up and down, 
30 times. He wonders why this poet keeps staring. 

30 cargo container ships sail in circles. 
30 seagulls fly in circles. Ships followed by gulls lined up for something to do. 

30 Cholla cactus guardians armed to stick me with 
30 fiery barbed spines that tear into flesh, like we disrespected their grandma. 

30 whales on migration. I imagine it's their 
30th cruising season from Puerto Vallarta to Glacier Bay. 

Cormorants swim then dive to catch fish. They stay submerged for 
30 seconds. They appear to have perished under the water. But then 

30 meters away, they surface, give me a puzzled look, cock their heads, 
peer at me with one eye. “What’s your problem? The water is awesome.” 

Two lovers hold hands and 
stroll along the sidewalks. 

A little boy plays with 
30 toy cars and planes. 

There is no limit to his imagination. 
The number of planets he visited today totals over 

30 close encounters. And if his mother didn’t stop him, 
he would have traversed 30, 60, 90, or more. 

Today, I walk the trails of Vicente Bluffs Reserve. In 
30 years, they will scatter my ashes. My molecules will rise to the tops of 

30 majestic trees, 
or humble blades of grass. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Angela M Franklin

A Grim Fairy Tale Once upon a time  a baby girl was born with both hands planted firmly on slim hips in Naperville a city known for its wind...