Submit your poetry and/or art for this site by emailing donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com before 11:59pm PST on Saturday, February 19th, 2022.

Sunday, February 13, 2022

Don Kingfisher Campbell

Artwork by Raundi Kai Moore-Kondo

CE-0


As a child

At night

I would leave

My bedroom window open

Look out into the blackness

Above the houses

Of the San Gabriel Valley

I saw red lights

In a circular pattern

Not moving

Just blinking

And I imagine

A flying saucer

Suspended in the sky

Surveying our world

During the day

They weren’t there

Later I learned

These were beacons

To prevent planes

From flying into

Transmission towers

I was so disappointed





Photo by Charles Ardinger

Fear

Every time I go outside I risk death
Even though I wear a mask I have to

Take the KN95 off if I’m going to eat
In a restaurant with only a few patrons

As I effortlessly inhale my surroundings
I can‘t help but need to ingest a burger

Made by gloved hands from another
Life much worse working in trepidation

That existence might be traded for $15
An hour multiplied by a business day

What happens when we return to our
Vehicles speed back to waiting homes

Lock the door and feel the need to open
The windows to see the immediate world

The one worn each diurnal in thoughts
Which ponder what to do about all this

Illness borne by the breath of someone 
Standing too close because they are so

Impatient to relive the past lives we all had
Now just an internal memorial to freedom

No body realized how valuable it was
To be able to walk without thinking

The world might kill me today simply
Since it has been possible in steps

Plodding ground after first cry now
Frightened mind flashes at the misses

Understands to live is to gamble that
Here isn’t a nowhere until something

Shuts down the biological processor
Via means violent as a floating virus






Sukie Song!

We’re dog-sitting for ten days,
Sukie the Shiba Inu looks like
the dog on the Dogecoin, so
one fellow said, but maybe he
was just trying to hit on my
fiancée, since I was closer
to my sister as we walked.

We were instructed not to give
her people food, yet she stands
up, pushes our arms for a hand-
out. Still, we obey her masters.

After she eats treats mixed into
her regular food, we take her
for a walk. She sniffs everything
constantly, moving to something
she smells, even if it means going
to the other side of the sidewalk
or down a driveway to the street,
because she is a blind rescue.

Nine days of trying to steer Sukie
away from poles and curbs in her
non-pattern of walking in zig zags
and figure eights, we finally figure
out Sukie will head to Mina’s voice
when she calls her name. So I said,
keep singing, keep singing…

The Sukie Song
(unofficial translation)

Sukie, Sukie, Sukie Song,
Sukie Song, Sukie Song
Follow my voice, Sukie long
And we’ll go straight along

Mina complains if I don’t walk
with them, because when I walk
with them, Sukie is inspired to
poopie, ‘cuz I have to pick it up.

Back home, Mina hugs her
and lovingly puts eye drops in
her eyes, Sukie fidgets like
anyone would….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angela M Franklin

A Grim Fairy Tale Once upon a time  a baby girl was born with both hands planted firmly on slim hips in Naperville a city known for its wind...