Submit your poetry and/or art for this site by emailing donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com before 11:59pm PST on Saturday, February 19th, 2022.

Sunday, February 13, 2022

Hedy Habra

No One I Know by Raundi Kai Moore-Kondo

Encounters


In the tower of a restored Italian cloister a bourgeois restaurant

flourishes in its loggias I meet the high dignitaries of my adventures

my djinns and afrits


We're trapped in the basement of a building in Beirut with many 

unknown families we'll have to cross the street at dawn

to change shelter during the next truce


In a car parked in a dark alley a hand slowly outlines my eyes 

the bridge of my nose lingers at my lips and neck 

everyone hears my heartbeat


Alone in my bed again crying I hit with my fists the indifferent wall


On an indefinite sheet of water surrounded by two lines of rowers 

she watches the rhythmic synchronized movements 

of their gigantic oar

the boat barely touches the surface  


Your smile tells me in a stairwell "You haven't changed in twenty 

years you stood it all well" 


it's getting harder to sit i become heavier every day i'm no longer

good for anything anymore i'd like a small drop to warm 

my heart up children bring my shawl please


We walked hand in hand over brittle pine needles wild oregano

in bloom thorny umbels swarming with shiny ants


its impossible my house isn't for sale i'll never sell 



First published by Linden Lane Magazine

From Tea in Heliopolis (Press 53 2013)



Water Over Troubled Bridges by Raundi Kai Moore-Kondo

How the Song Turns into a Legend


We all have but one song, spend a lifetime 

looking for ways to say it, 

as one recites an unending poem, 

a chanson de geste

a canto, or an epic. 

What happens then if you whisper it only to yourself, 

burying it deeper every day? 

Wouldn’t it wilt as petals pressed 

between the pages of a book? 

And couldn’t a garden die of indifference? 


But take any couple, an encounter, turn it into a legend, 

make it last...  Their story told and retold, 

ritualized by repetition, 

until their stature grows, their eyes brighten, 

until their voice is heard,

 their sin forgiven...

Recount tales in tongues, in parables, uttered in public squares, 

whispered in corners 

in sotto voce

from mouth to mouth,

hear a mother’s voice warn her children 

with a half-smile, 

witness puppets parody star-crossed lovers in street fairs, 

in jest, in awe, 

in ever-changing roles and settings.  


Watch words form lines, notes, scripts, scores written in scrolls, 

in parchment, in manuscripts folded in folio, 

in quarto, 

scribbled in notebooks, in recipe books, 

in brown paper, engraved in stone, in bronze,

gold or ivory, 

transcribed, 

transformed, 

until only names are left untouched. 

When so many variations deafen the original song, 

then, and only then, 

the images retain their spell,

 become universal, 

art legitimizing what could never endure



First published by Puerto del Sol

From Tea in Heliopolis (Press 53 2013)



 

Good Morning Pink by Raundi Kai Moore-Kondo

Encounter in the Yellow Hour


You’d think we’re about to engage in an elegant minuet, right hands 

raised in the ritual sequence of honor, yet her left hand waves the 

bouquet of wildflowers away from me as mine struggles to hold 

down my vest blown by the wind: but wait, rewind the tape to when 

I first saw her walking towards me, as though floating in that sea of 

wheat, holding wildflowers gathered just for me, for she must have 

mistaken me from afar for a pirate with my kilt and wide-brimmed 

hat: how I fooled myself, falling into my own trap, a motionless 

ready-made, unable to take her into high seas like a one-legged sailor, 

nor make love to her in the golden swaying waves of wheat, I, the 

trickster would-be scarecrow won’t come to life like the fairy tale 

frog, even the scorching heat won’t cast away my self-inflicted spell: 

this is the end of the minuet, the last farewell steps of the ritual 

sequence of honor, she’ll let the flowers scatter in the wind, the still 

dance lasting for an instant merging end with beginning.



First published by Poetic Diversity: The Litzine of Los Angeles

From Under Brushstrokes (Press 53 2015)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Angela M Franklin

A Grim Fairy Tale Once upon a time  a baby girl was born with both hands planted firmly on slim hips in Naperville a city known for its wind...