Submit your poetry and/or art for this site by emailing donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com before 11:59pm PST on Saturday, February 19th, 2022.

Sunday, February 20, 2022

R A Ruadh

Photo by Charles Ardinger

Will-o’the-wisps


My great uncle was wise

in the ways of the woods

conducting our walks together

in right relationship with all that was


He gave me teachings

of this world and beyond

not all things are as they seem

although they are real enough


I learned to sit so still

that birds and other creatures

large and small and tiny

would assume I was the landscape


He taught me the lore

of the little people

their blessings and tricks

and not to look them in the eye


I learned about spirits

the shapes they might take

not to be afraid of the good ones

and how to interpret messages


One moonless night

as we watched the fireflies dance

I pointed politely with my chin

toward a floating orb over by the woodline


We held breathless still as another

joined it and then more in

glowing colours that had no names

courtly and sedate but not silent


They sang in a language I hadn’t learned

yet I understood their glimmerings

of things so ancient and eternal

I thought I had fallen into the sky


After awhile they flashed all at once

then disappeared as if they had never been

he sighed into a night

that was too quiet


It was then he told me

the Sight is given to few

and those who have it can

always see the will-o’-the-wisps


They had given me my gifts

knowing when a last journey is beginning

the touch for finding illness

a sense for what the healing may be


The years have passed

with them also my great uncle and

all my elders and more

I touch I heal I guide


I watch spirits rising from earthly limbs to the stars

walking the Milky Way in beauty

becoming that song I first knew

on the night of the will-o’the-wisps


No comments:

Post a Comment

Angela M Franklin

A Grim Fairy Tale Once upon a time  a baby girl was born with both hands planted firmly on slim hips in Naperville a city known for its wind...