Submit your poetry and/or art for this site by emailing donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com before 11:59pm PST on Saturday, February 19th, 2022.

Friday, February 18, 2022

Radomir Vojtech Luza

Photo from the Kingfisher Archive

Close Encounter with the Maker


Every day in every way

I commune with the Holy Spirit


Chalk-colored clouds

Blowing in the brazen breeze


As I walk through the licorice abyss

Challenging what is with what could have been

What was with what will be


Mixing love and pain

Loss and gain


My relationship with God and the wrongly slain

Opening my mind to blonde moons and crimson bane


Jesuit priests galloping through my veins

Yahweh riding shotgun

Multiplying the morning sun





Close Encounter with my Friend the Rock Star

(Dedicated to Fred Leblanc of the band Cowboy Mouth)


I once thought of you as prophet-like

The way you attacked those drums in that 

Famous Southern rock band like raw meat


You seemed from another land

No problem making a stand


The transformation from overweight, unruly, rebellious 

High school Sophomore to muscular lead singer and

Driving force behind the music made me weep in its

Innocence, simplicity and courage


The cassette you gave me with three songs you

Wrote, performed and recorded in your parent's home

Outside of New Orleans, LA all those 36 years ago

Forced me to question my existence


But the seeming end of our friendship 

Over bruised ego and misunderstanding

These last three-and-a-half decades almost killed me


For you were so much more than a friend

You were inspiration, enlightenment and illumination personified


I stood in the power of your divinity like a younger brother

Searching for solace, sustenance, substance and style


Instead finding heartbreak, never ending depression and a

Piercing nervous breakdown at the end of your

Magical wizard's wand


There are but five short words left to utter:

I will always love you


No comments:

Post a Comment

Angela M Franklin

A Grim Fairy Tale Once upon a time  a baby girl was born with both hands planted firmly on slim hips in Naperville a city known for its wind...